Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Great Mathematicians | Raymond Flood & Robin Wilson


Summary:
A quick look at some of histories greatest mathematical contributors. From Western to Eastern philosophy, from ancient to contemporary history, these are the people who made mathematics. 

Review:

This isn't a book for laymen. I generally enjoy reading about mathematics but I had problems getting through this book. I had to force myself to read a lot of it and other parts I had my husband (a natural with mathematics) explain some of it to me.

That being said, I did appreciate how the book doesn't focus on western or European mathematicians. Influences from around the world are given well deserved representation in this book. Not everyone knows that "zero" was created by India.

I don't recommend this book for everyone. You'd have to be really interested in mathematics and the history of mathematics to really like this book. That said, I give this book 2.5 hoots.


No comments:

Post a Comment