Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Custodian of Marvels | Rod Duncan

*Image and book provided via NetGalley.

Summary:
Elizabeth Barnabus has been on the run since she was 14. The Duke of Northamptom says she belongs to him as an indentured servant after he paid off her father's debts, which were incurred by the Duke himself, though this was never proven. In an attempt to find more evidence for her case against the Duke and resolve her money problems, Elizabeth rejoins friends from her circus days in their attempts to steal from The Patent Court, the most heavily guarded government building in the world.

Review:
Once again, I find myself reading a book from the middle of a series. Once again, Angry Robot Books has provided a series that can be started from any point. Though this book was not what I expected when I first started reading, I had no problems getting into this world and rather enjoyed my stay there. 

We only get to really know a few of the cast of characters, but the ensemble still works. Considering it's all told from Elizabeth's perspective, it's not surprising we only learn so much about each character. I also appreciated that this book was from the first-person perspective. At the start of each chapter, there are quotes from The Bullet-Catcher's Handbook that tell about how to perform illusions and cons. As a result, I was left feeling like I was missing a piece of the puzzle, which kept me on the edge of my seat, which made this read so much more enjoyable. I can honestly say, this is one of those very rare books where I can predict almost nothing.

This is a very interesting world, an engaging story, and a pleasant read. I happily give 4.5 Hoots!

                Hoot!Hoot!
                Hoot! Hoot!
                     Hoo



No comments:

Post a Comment