Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Sci-Fi Month: Top Ten Scary Sci-Fi Movies

sfm15_5

Hello! I know that I don't usually do "Top Ten" posts, but in honor of Sci-Fi Month, I figured I'd do a list of Scary Sci-Fi Movies. Every movie and game in this list was, at some point or another, too scary for me to watch. A couple of them are still too scary for me. Please keep in mind, I used to be a lot more sensitive to scary stuff than I am now so some of these movies I wasn't able to watch until recently.

1. Jurassic Park: This movie came out when I was in 4th grade and I ended up having to leave the theater during the velociraptors in the kitchen scene because it was just too scary for me. My brother still hasn't let me live this down.



2. Alien: I've only been able to watch this movie in the past year or so. Fortunately I'd seen enough parodies and knew enough of the overall plot that it made it less scary and, therefore, more enjoyable for me.
Alien (1979) Poster


3. Event Horizon: Funny enough, this was one was never actually too scary for me. I've been able to watch this one since I was in junior high or high school.

Event Horizon (1997) Poster


4. The Thing: This was the first scary movie my husband used to try to help me get over my fear of scary movies. Funny thing about the clay/animation models they used for the horror effects, they're still incredibly creepy!
The Thing (1982) Poster


5. Dawn of the Dead: I watched this movie in high school and for years, literally years, afterwards, every building I went into I immediately assessed for if there was a sudden zombie outbreak.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) Poster


6. Resident Evil: This series wasn't quite as bad for me as it could have been. I still had to stop watching after the 3rd or 4th movie, but part of that was boredom.

Resident Evil (2002) Poster


7. 28 Days Later (still haven't watched): Fast zombies? No thanks. I learned my lesson from Dawn of the Dead.
28 Days Later... (2002) Poster


8. The Fourth Kind (still haven't watched): The ads from this movie kept me awake with a baseball bat all night. I could not sleep until I saw the sun coming up and even then it was rough sleep. I've had "issues" with alien abduction stories since elementary school.

The Fourth Kind (2009) Poster

9. Arachnophobia: I actually didn't have arachnophobia until I saw this movie. I used to be quite fascinated by spiders. Then I saw this movie.

Arachnophobia (1990) Poster


10. Mars Attacks: This movie scared the hell outta me. I still cannot even look at the Martians without feeling impossibly creeped out. I know it's supposed to be a comedy, but I was too freaked out to laugh.

Mars Attacks! (1996) Poster





So, I clearly don't care for alien and zombie movies. Funny enough, Predator has never scared me. What sci-fi movies scare you?

4 comments:

  1. I was expecting to be terrified by Alien, but actually I wasn't and now it's one of my faves :) I won't watch any of those zombie movies though - I'm too squeamish to deal with them :/

    One SF movie that I found INCREDIBLY creepy, as did everyone I've asked, was Signs. Ughhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Alien wasn't as scary because it was more of a creature movie. That's how I survived Pitch Black.

      Signs kept me awake for several nights. I finally calmed down by remembering we lived close to a pond.

      Delete
  2. The Thing and 28 Days Later are two on your list that still scare me :D But in a good way. Ahh, I have re-watch some of these!

    --Sharry
    xalwaysdreamx.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thing is creepy! Especially given the way they had to animate the creature! If it was just CGI it wouldn't be so creepy.

      Delete