Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Realmsic Conquest: The Hero of Legend by Demethius Jackson


A while back one of the authors I follow on Twitter promoted his friend's work. I took a look at the link he shared and watched the video that the friend had posted on YouTube to advertise his work. After watching, I knew I had to read this book. Check it out for yourself:


See? How could I ignore an invite like that? I actually did get the book a while ago and just finished today. My first thought upon finishing it? "Why did I wait so long to read this?!"

The Realmsic Conquest: The Hero of Legend is a fast paced adventure. The book, in PDF format, is less than 200 pages, so Jackson is not the type of author to waste his words. I was a little worried at the beginning when the new king is reciting history to his council. I thought "they already know the history, this is clearly an exposition dump for the reader." But my concerns were quickly laid to rest with everything that happened after the initial exposition. The pacing works and, though I know I read slowly, I felt like I was going as fast as the characters.

The characters themselves were amazingly real to me. Random comments like "Really? Another secret?"* and "Look, I know this seems bad...and, in fact, it is."** were very similar to how I was feeling and provided a nice, realistic sense of humor to these situations. None of the characters gave off the vibe of being one dimensional. Admittedly, the bad guy's descent into madness*** was predictable, but I'm always appreciative of an intelligent and charismatic villain.

There were a few naming conventions that made you want to wag a finger at the author saying "Oh you!" But at the same time, they kinda fit. I won't ruin them for you, but you'll no doubt recognize them when you read them.

Overall, I feel Jackson does a wonderful job of telling a thrilling adventure without...really without any fluff at all. Heck, there wasn't even a love story! I LOVE that! I've already recommend this book to others and have enjoyed every page of this story. I can't help but give this book a whole 5 hoots out of 5!**** Go get yourself a copy of this book!

                 Hoot!Hoot!
                 Hoot!Hoot!
                    Hoot!


*Pg. 129 in PDF.
**Pg. 109 in PDF.
***Resulting in an awesome boss battle!
****Even if he did have an entire lost archive destroyed. I so want to be in the Archival Order!

No comments:

Post a Comment