Thursday, September 4, 2014

Call of the Herald (Godsland Series Book 1) by Brian Rathbone



So, I've had this book in my Kindle for a while now and finally got around to reading it. And you know what? I'm glad I read it and I'm even happier that Rathbone has already published the sequel. I kid you not, I got to the end of Call of the Herald and I was complaining about the book ending too soon.

At the very least, Rathbone has used this first book wisely in creating the world of Godsland, establishing its rules, history, and boundaries. The best part is, he is able to do this without the book being boring. Rathbone has an effective balance between action and exposition that I greatly appreciate. There may be a few slower parts, but they are filled with good information. I'm fairly certain that my own wilderness survival skills have improved through simply knowing what the characters learn.

There is so much going on in the world of Godsland and there is so much history there that has yet to be explored. Catrin's wandering through the caverns revealed an ancient world that leaves me hungry for more. Are there more things that she can use to focus her power as she does the amulet she found there? What is the story behind her mother's sword? I'm hungry for answers and want to explore this world more.

Probably the only thing I had problems with was how easily Catrin was able to manage the social intricacies of dealing with the Arghast. I don't recall if she had received that kind of education, if so she owes Elding an apology. If not, how was it so easy? It could be that it was all about confidence, which, throughout the book, she develops more and more of, but I'm not completely convinced.

Other than this small part of the book, though, I have to say this was a enjoyable read and I have the next one queued up. I give Call of the Herald 4.5 hoots out of 5!

Hoot!Hoot!
Hoot!Hoot!
Hoo




No comments:

Post a Comment