Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mini-Review: Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman


Soon I Will Be Invincible takes place from two perspectives, the evil mastermind, Doctor Impossible, and the newbie superhero cyborg, Fatale. Doctor Impossible has been in the superhero game almost from the beginning. He's almost taken over the world several times and has been put in jail before he could finish every time. The book starts just before he escapes yet again with a new plan for taking over the world. Fatale is a woman who cannot remember her past since she got hit by a dump truck in Brazil and was saved by having all her missing parts replaced with robotics. Her introduction in the book is her starting a probationary term with the Champions, the worlds greatest superheroes, not in retirement. At the same time, CoreFire, the most powerful superhero on record, has gone missing and no one knows where he went.

I had high hopes for this book. It was entertaining enough that I finished it, but it fell kinda flat. There was just so much exposition. I get that it's necessary for world building, but that many flashbacks made me think of Dragonball Z. So much remembering and so little action. Ultimately, I can only bring myself to give this book 3 hoots. 

Hoot!Hoot!
Hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment